a college student's five month quest to see europe and soak in la vie française

a college student's five month quest to see europe and soak in la vie française

Friday, July 30, 2010

Istanbul

Our trip to Turkey was memorable for several reasons. Istanbul was so unlike any other European city that I visited over the course of my semester abroad that it would be unjust to try to draw a comparison in typical travelers' qualifications. Traveling with my mother and sister — three American and Catholic women — in a country not known for its religious or sexual tolerance was both fascinating and at times frightening. We also made time for a Turkish bath, which yielded hilarious anecdotes not soon to be forgotten. Turkey was also the final country I saw before I returned to my host family in Tours and then my real family in the U.S., rounding out the list of new places I saw (which I have posted on the right sidebar for the few of you who may be interested). 
Neither the first nor the last murse sighting on our trip.
We conveniently arrived at the Blue Mosque just in time for their afternoon prayer — a Turkish experience not to be missed.
A yummy and colorful salad at a nearby café.
The Blue Mosque at sunset from our rooftop restaurant.
Somehow we managed to swallow down Turkish coffee, a very thick concoction that tastes similar to what I imagine tar would.
A view of the Golden Horn from our river cruise on the Bosphorous. 
Amazing architecture spotted from the boat. Unfortunately we had more than a little trouble deciphering the guide's explanations of what everything was!
The bridge that connects the Asian and European parts of Turkey.
A manmade "party island" in the center of the Bosphorous.
We just don't have that kind of architectural detail in America!
Murse numero dos on the river cruise.
The view from Pierre Loti Hill.
Evidence of far too much time spent looking at rugs in the Grand Bazaar.
Hagia Sofia at sunrise (damn those early flights).
The Blue Mosque at sunrise.

8 comments:

  1. All these beautiful pictures and the only thing that caught Will's eye was the boring bridge lol. The first picture of the Blue Mosque looks unreal, like something you snip out of a magazine. It must have been so cool walking around in such an unfamiliar place, I'd feel like I was in a dream. How long did you stay there for?
    And yea, I heard their coffee is nasty, I don't get how that whole country decided it was actually tasty. They're all delusional

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turkey is a place I have always wanted to visit. Thank you for taking me there - via your blog of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. beautiful photos. i am so jealous of your travels.

    Rachael

    p.s. Be sure to check my giveaway when you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful! I also studied in Tours, which is where I met one of my very best friends to this day (about thirteen years later) who is from and now lives in Istanbul. I've been to Turkey twice to visit him and love the country, especially Istanbul - the crossroads of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. um...I just saw that you went to Bucknell...so did I. Is Madame Desombre still the French faculty? I wonder who your family was...I think your semester is over...I hope you didn't listen to the Bucknell prof in residence and you went wherever you wanted! I have to find pictures of my time there. This is funny. Small blog world.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails